Tuesday 27 April 2010

Watch your backs boys, we,re after your shirts

I am so pleased with this quilt . It is made from 5 old shirts . the pieces were cut various sizes in length but I kept the width the same . The edging fabric is from my stash cut 13" wide to make a wide edging . I filled the edging with thick batting , I would say it is about a 6 oz, weight, it is from a duvet cut up that I didn,t need , it is like the thick edges that use to be found on eiderdowns, the back is pieced from 2 different blue fabrics from my stash , the quilting is big stitch naive to give a country look .

I have another 5 blue and white shirts for another quilt . I shall be on the lookout for 3 yellow shirts . I think they will be harder to come by . I shall mix small florals in with the yellow . Also pink shirts I,ll be seeking , I,ll mix spots with pink . These quilts will belong to my country collection .

Bluebell and myself will soon be off to the Malvern show, the tickets are purchased ,and we are champing at the bit.


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a lovely quilt! I've been saving shirts and pyjamas with the same thing in mind!

Elizabethd said...

Your work is always so professional. It loks very attractive. I can see that you will be haunting the charity shops on the look-out!

Barb said...

Your quilt is wonderful...

Jane said...

What a lovely quilt, beautifully sewn and such calming colours. Clever lady.

Astrid said...

Hi! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog! I'm new to your blog and haven't had much time to have a good look, but I will. What a great idea the old shirt quilt! Very nice work you've done. Do you hand stitch? I'm collecting flannel shirts for a quilt. :) It a great way for re-using!

cottonreel said...

I have tried to go into Astrid Helene blog but no success, please join me as a follower Asrid Helene so I can read your blog--cottonreel--

Yes I do handstitch , because of this the fingers and thumb on my right hand are painful

Scrappy quilter said...

I love your quilt. I might just start saving shirts now. Hugs

MyCretanlife said...

What a super quilt and so country. You give so many people inspiration. I too have been thrifting shirts of all colours. What will I make out of them??? Time will tell.
Have a good day, happy quilting.