Sunday 3 May 2009

Patchwork and quilting

Sometimes we quilters have an inspiration block just like writers and other people. Even day to day things . How many times do we think,I.ve no idea what to cook for dinner tonight,out comes the cookery book for ideas . With quilters it,s the same,we have mountains of fabric, shelves of books, and yet we look to what our friends are doing and think ,I will make one of those . I,m saying , look through your fabric and get your books off the shelf . they are work manuals as well as books to dream by . the people who wrote those books intended you to use them . Mix your fabrics, dip into your books and those costly magazines, add a square from one pattern and a block from another.

I use to teach patchwork/ quilting and fabric manipulation. I always use to tried to steer my ladies away from the safe option. To be brave and daring. It,s fabric not something you are going to eat that might give you a pain in the tummy .

Give free range to colour combination. You don,t have to be slaving over a quilt for months for it to be a stunner .

Lay your fabrics out like a paintbox.

Put strips together in rail fence or hourglass, both can be cut in multi layers with your rotary cutter. when you have finished your cutting, lock yourself in the sewing room with your drink and sandwich and make it your quilt in a day project .

You might think afterwards , I could never put this on a bed, but quilts are not just for beds . Put it on the back of the chair in the garden. Fold it over the radiator that isn,t switched on . Put it casually crumpled into a log basket to be picked out and put over your legs when it gets chilly in the evening .

My friend bluebell has a Kaffe Fasset book called country garden quilts. this book illustrates perfectly the joy of putting together bright colours. I have borrowed this book from her to use over the May bank holiday.

Two days ago I bought a range of orange coloured fabric, I shall mix in some of my own stash, and I feel a quilt coming on. I will most likely say " I could never put it on a bed " but then I don,t need another quilt to put on a bed .

Sometime in the near future I will show my orange quilt , so watch this space.

The quilt I,m showing today was a Judy Martin free pattern , last year . I liked it so much I made two . The first one I made to the pattern this one I put a bit of my own magic into it . It,s machine quilted on a Brother innovis 2oo. just a basic domestic sewing machine . Safe colours !yes, but I dipped into the blue mountain . I made two double bed quilts and the mountain is still there .

If you have been kind enugh to read my blog , please leave a comment .






10 comments:

sweet blondie blue eyes said...

Lovely quilt

Bluebell said...

Hi Kathleen,
You never cease to amaze me, your quilts are simply stunning, your imagination wonderful your sense of humour a bit off the wall, overall a wonderfull character.
Love Gill

Gilly said...

That is a fantastic quilt. I've never really sorted out how you make them. Are all the patchwork pieces the same size? My mother used to do a lot of patchwork, which she made into quilts without the quilting, if you see what I mean! She used hexagons, generally just random, as she found material.

But I am really fascinated. Is it done by hand? It is just so beautiful, modern without being jazzy, natural without being all flowery! Do you need all your material ready, i.e. measured and enough for the whole quilt before you start?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'd really like to know!

Peggy said...

Hello - received your comment on the t-shirt quilt, thanks for your encouraging remarks. I'm enjoying 'meeting' new people all the time through blogging, and look forward to getting to know you this way. The blue quilt is lovely, and certianly challenges me!!! Peg

Pretty Organizer said...

My dear, you are incredibly talented. I love patchwork quilting however my expertise isn't at all like yours. You've got a great blog here... Looks like you're off to an exciting start in blogging. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

Sue said...

Your quilting is gorgeous! Thank you for your comment on my blog, it was interesting to hear your thoughts. All the best to you :-)

Lisa said...

I'm a fairly new quilter (working on #6) so I'm awed by your quilts. Thanks for sharing your work.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love the blues.

Elaine said...

Now this is the quilt I really like of yours. I love the houses and the blues. Thanks for being a follower on my blog. I hope you enjoy.

Colleen said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I love your bag and this blue and white quilt. Did you see my blue and white quilt? It is named Jenny's Fan Club. I made it for my sister who lovees all things blue.