Wednesday 1 July 2009

Night out

I was collected last night to go to a quilt meeting. I had not been to this meeting for a long time. I don,t drive and no one in my area goes there .I met old friends and aquaintances it was lovely.

The speaker Alison Bramley, I had not heard of. To me her quilts were a revelation .They were layer on layer of silk or similar fabric cut away like mola to give a stained glass effect , very beautiful , and to me , and this is only my opinion , let down by the lead. (quilters will know this is the narrow black fabric that gives the stained glass appearance ) I personally think the black should be needle turned or machine stitched in the way stained glass patchwork is traditionally done .
The lead on this work was raw edge , put down with a twin needle cut away close to the stitching resulting in a lot of fraying .
The concept of the work was stunning , from a distance it was exquisite , close to , I could not think why someone would put all that effort into work that is so fragile.
Some pieces were huge wall hangings . No doubt at all , Angela is very talented but I likened it to a budding art student anxious to show what she was capable of but not turning all the hard work into somthing more permanant .

I hope I do not appear scathing . I did enjoy seeing Alison,s quilts , and was truly bowled over by the artistry , and dedication .

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Would be lovely if you could put a link up, the work sounds so interesting.

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm going to check this out. Glad you got to go out though and have a night out. Hugs..

LaurieStar said...

This sounds interesting. I'm going to check out your other posts. :)